Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Gorgons and hydras all up in here

3:30 am. The ol' toss n' turn, folks. The ol' can't sleep to save my life. And part of me wants a bagel, but part of me feels it's more pressing to be posting. Feeding myself, I tell you, means nothing. It's all about Klovharu, all the time.

Somehow, writing on this blog has achieved the high level of I-don't-wanna that I normally reserve for program-related writing that's due tomorrow morning. I have no idea how that happened, and I hope it won't last.

Only two posts through all of March, for christ's sake, and it's not like nothing happened in March. Things certainly happened.

Like for no small example, a baby was born. Yes! This baby I know was totally born. And then Jacob came up for a week-ish-long visit and stayed at my crazy house. It rained the entire time and we, together with Marian, mainly hung around my room watching reality television while drawing. Jacob and Marian drew/toned comics, and I drew/coloured ninja turtles.

Speaking of which, the new TMNT movie is so good! We saw it on opening night (I shall tell my adopted grandchildren) and Leonardo is my one true love. So much sexier than all the leather-diapered fascists of 300, I'm telling you.

And King City came out, and it's amazing and I (and everyone) love it, which has introduced a new level of hero-worship into my friendship with Brandon Graham that's very uncomfortable for me. I wish he would cut that shit out!

Marian and I have been hanging out with Jess lately, too, and that's been rad. She introduced us to a bubble tea place in Burnaby that gave me some sort of religious experience in the form of a honeydew slush milky tea, and we introduced her to the highs and lows of the Delta Krispy Kreme late-nite drive-through.

And then on the 31st we attempted to get to Seattle for the Emerald City con, but Marian's car, Volpone, started to break-down a mile across the border. We had to be towed back into Canada and home by a jovial CAA driver who happens to be the most accomplished CAA driver that ever lived, as well as the best driver on the road at all times. He told us all about it on our long drive together, and it turns out that Marian and I are actually unlucky morons. But he was really nice about it.

Will Volpone ever run again? Like the wind? We don't know. We made it to Seattle on Sunday in my own expensively-repaired Argo, for the last day of the con. Where I purchased four FF3 capsule toys and took photos of them! And there were people in Star Wars costumes and stuff, and I felt myself coming of age as I stared at them and tried not to make eye contact.

We drove home that night, though, because of this whole end-of-term thing that's happening. And oh my god it's killing me. I'm going to be known as extension-thompson-gibson when this is through. ETG 4 EVA.

But after this Thursday, I'm telling you, shit is about to get real. Because then it'll be like summer, almost.

But where's that bagel?

3 comments:

Marian said...

They don't know what's wrong with my car. Nasen might even adopt it for the weekend as his own, to see if he can coax it into giving him some of the same hot sass it gave us.

I cried a single tear for the people in Star Wars costumes. Poignance. Ennui. I'm going as R2D2, next year.

Anonymous said...

I so have to do one of these "con" things someday. So I can nerd it up with the rest of the nerds. Is it just me, or are nerds sometimes like, the coolest people of all?

TMNT + Burnaby Bubble Tea = Soon, yes?

Marian said...

Soon indeed. That is some tasty-fine math.