Wednesday, January 17, 2007

In which I finally get a Wii

And also hypothermia, but mainly a Wii.

I waited in front of the Broadway Future Shop from 6:30 to 10:00 this morning, in order to get one of the four unsold Wiis (I still think plural for Wii should be Wii) leftover from last night's shipment. Yesterday I was there from 9:30 to 1:00pm. The shipment came in at 4:00pm. Cruel fate, yes? But listen!

Today I was the first person in line. For a couple of hours, actually, I was the only person in line. I sat on the mat sensor in front of the automatic doors and alternated between playing my DS (with gloves, difficult) and reading Death Note (with gloves, almost impossible). I bought two tall chai lattes from the Starbucks next door, but the second one was just to hold on to. I was freezing.

The gaming manager came out to talk to me a couple of times. He said that the next three people who lined up after me would get Wiis, but there would be no point in anyone else waiting around after that.

About twenty people showed up by the time Future Shop opened, and I had to keep explaining that the store only had four Wiis left. Nobody believed me and I didn't blame them, but then they hung around right next to us (the lucky four) and it was awkward. I recognized a lot of people from the line-up yesterday.

When we finally got inside and the manager counted us off and turned everyone else away, people got angry. I felt sorry for them because I've had bad luck with the goddamn thing myself, but I was also so cold that I couldn't really think.

I bought Twilight Princess too, and staggered out of the store like a drunk. I know it's old news now, and all that crap, but it's brand new to me and I'm still reeling. Reeling and dancing, and shrieking, et cetera.

In any case. I have work to do for a class at 10am tomorrow, and right now that just seems silly.

3 comments:

S said...

Perhaps Sachi could come over and sit quietly watching you play Zelda? Smashing the air with your imaginary sword and such? Because that sort of thing excites me.

Claire said...

I'd like that. It would make me feel like even more of a legendary hero. If that's at all possible.

Anonymous said...

You got one. Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!! Thinking back, I really should have got my ass out of bed. At least to come and keep you company (maybe we could have huddled for warmth?).

p.s. Ciaran admitted, he is a little jealous.