Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Pierrot, King, Pet, Flower

I'm so sick of rewrites. I've spent the entire day rewriting old (and to my mind, crappy) pieces to bulk up my BFA application portfolio. I thought I had a decent chance of getting into the UBC creative writing program (to which twelve people are accepted per year) last time around, but now I realize that was because I was clinically insane. About a hundred people apply each year, and lots of them have been published. So why am I even trying? I have no idea. It's just something to do. I already know what I'm going to do next year instead of the BFA program. I'm going to write and travel, okay? So SHUT UP, BFA program. I reject YOU.

Back to woik.

8 comments:

sd said...

From what I read here, you have every chance of getting in. And from what I understand of the program, if you don't get in you can just bully your way in -- if you're comfortable doing that, of course. And also, have you sent stuff out to be published? Because maybe you just need to send stuff, and then you'll be published too. But if not, then published doesn't mean everything, since a lot of what gets published is crappy and I can't see any reason why they should reject my poetry for what's in the magazines.

Sorry, that was long-winded and bitter-sounding. But it's supposed to be nice. I send you good thoughts.

Anonymous said...

what kind of stuff do you like to write, claire?

i hope you get in.

Marian said...

I'm already jealous about the travelling. So much more interesting than school.

Marian said...

I still think you have a hot chance of getting in, though. It isn't as if all one hundred people who apply are anywhere near as good as you are.

Claire said...

Whoa. The comments page is all wacky. Is this the new layout?

Thanks for the support, gang. I choo-choo-choose you.

SD: Nope, I haven't sent anything out to be published. I know I should, but it's, like, easier not to? Plus: fear of rejection!

Kate: I like to write about my childhood. I love fiction and I'm obsessed with the idea of writing it, but when I write from life it always seems stronger. So that's what I've been doing for the last year or so.

The comments page is back to normal now. Wa-hey?

Marian said...

I can't wait until we both have time to hang out and watch, um, certain important DVDs. Important and tasteful.

Claire said...

Dude, call me the second you're free. For serious. It is so ON.

By which I mean, yes, I expect the edifying and high-brow DVDs to make for enjoyable watching indeed. BABOOM.

S said...

Blogger lost my comment. Ahem. I wish I were a part of this elite DVD crew. And yay Claire! You will rock the pants off of the BFA.