Getting a post-Pilates latte this morning, I scalded my left hand quite badly when the lid of my paper cup popped off unexpectedly in the middle of Java Hut. My hand turned bright red (not thankfully, white or runny) and I ran to the bathroom to soak it in cold water, but it was occupied.
So I played it cool in the hallway outside, swearing and blowing on my hand for a few minutes before getting a little impatient and knocking on the door, just to make it clear, in case the swearing and tortured moans weren't enough, that somebody needed to use the bathroom. In response to my knock, a cheerful male voice called out Just a minute!
And I continued to wait. For five minutes. The pain in my hand got worse. What was this guy doing in there? Shaving? Sponge bathing? Shooting up and blacking out? Another five minutes passed. I actually started sniffling a little bit, not to say crying, you know, but getting myself ready to cry for when my friendly stranger's bathroom odyssey would hit the 15 minute mark. FINALLY he comes out, SMILING at me, and hands me the key. I gave him a watery look, clutching my hot pink hand to my stomach as if he'd just threatened to bite it, and ran into the bathroom to slap wet paper towels onto my knuckles. And hiss.
As I left, I made sure to give him a lot of time to see my crudely swathed hand, dripping water and, unfortunately for the point I was trying to make, looking pretty well normal underneath. It still hurt like a bitch though. It really did.
P.S. Gloomy bear arrived.

4 comments:
Poor Claire. Next time try kicking the door and yelling, "OUT, FUCKER, IT'S AN EMERGENCY!" Because that's totally your style. I can tell. Many sympathies...I'm sure I'd've endured and wept a little, too.
The party sounds swanky and I am very sad I'm not there to sashay in and woo the Vancouver glitterati with my charm and ...um...obviously I have no charm or any other traits, desirable or undesirable. I am a blank slate.
Is Gloomy bleeding?
I hope your party was super duper. Please give us details, including how Marian got shit faced and danced on the dining room table.
I recall Marian being a fun drunk that one time a long time ago during an event too embarassing to mention.
If I come back this summer, I would like to see it materialized again minus the gliteratti.
I always thought you guys were the coolest.
I'm still the funnest drunk on the block, baby.
I actually have a picture from said embarassing event of you and Claire, arm in arm, holding your drinks and swaying dangerously. Good times.
Post a Comment