Sunday, June 19, 2005

TAD dreams

I went ahead and bought a really good television today. It pretty much cleaned out my savings, at least until I get paid in a week or two, but I got a good deal because it was the display model and it came without a box or instruction manual. It's a Samsung, like my last tv, but it's flatscreen and widescreen and LCD and all that stuff. I don't know much about televisions but I watch enough dvds that I figured I might as well get one that made movies look as good as I can afford.

I went to the Future Shop on Granville and Robson to buy it. I don't know why all the salespeople at places like that are men, but it gives you a creepy feeling. Having a guy who's on commission sell me something feels eerily like it does to be hit on. "You watch a lotta movies? I bet you do. What movies do you watch? A lot, right? How about Gladiator? You like Gladiator? It's pretty tight. You'll want to get this $150 power bar with that..."

The thing is, I'm not generally hit on by enough guys to have any kind of defense mechanism ready, so I end up doing a lot of smiling and nodding, and then when I hand my Visa over (for the tv, power bar, fancy cables, and screen cleaner) I feel like I've just agreed to meet my mouth-breathing salesman at a love hotel in three hours.

I'm going to be working on a friend's production for three or four days this week as a trainee assistant director. It means getting up at 5:30 and going to sleep who-knows-when, but I've done it once before, ages ago, and it has a way of being worth the exhaustion. The film is a short one, hence the three or four day scheduale. It's being shot downtown in a single location. I'm looking forward to using a walkie talkie again.

I stalked my cat today for an hour and took dozens of pictures of her, trying to get one or two good shots. She's hard to photograph because she never stops moving and/or blinking. Anyway, here's the best one. Here's Ema.

9 comments:

MrcSyrs said...

Super surprise! I broke down and bought the James Dean set yesterday so we can watch his fidgety and angsty brooding in its full anamorphic glory!

Anonymous said...

oh wow,you get to work on a film? that is so cool! i would love to do that.

S said...

Agreed. I love being part of a big project. Walkie talkies are the shit.

Poor Claire in Future Shop! Did you ever notice that if you're with a guy, and you're buying something, they always pitch to the guy? Like he's there to make the decision for you?

Marian said...

That's true, they always do.

Have fun at the movie set nernie.

Aaaaannnnnd Nemmanemmanemma!

S said...

Oh yes, and Ema. She has the look about her of a cat that has been stalked throughout the house by a woman with a camera. Click. Click. Clickity click.

S said...

I've been obsessively refreshing this blog for days and then I remembered the whole movie thing. Oops.

We miss thee!

Marian said...

Aye Cap'n.

S said...

It's like she's never coming back. It's like the Internet ate her.

Claire said...

Me feel loved.